ELMON™ - Furnacing lining materials
Elkem developed a monolithic furnace lining, ELMON, that incorporated a gas/metal/temperature “stopping” layer, after experiencing severe problems with carbon block linings back in the 1980s. The concept has been continuously improved, based on input and interaction with ferroalloy producers. Elkem’s monolithic lining often achieve a lifetime of around 20 years. Elkem has delivered linings to around 200 furnaces worldwide.
Furnacing lining materials
Elkem ELMON™ products have proven performance as linings in furnaces producing silicon, ferrosilicon, silicomanganese and calcium carbide. ELTAP™ products are also used in the bottom lining of ferrochrome and ferromanganese furnaces and in the sidewalls provided that sufficient temperatures are maintained for curing.
Can a furnace lining be both long lasting and cost efficient, and at the same time delivered within “a blink of the eye”?
Yes! With the lining concept ELMON, carbon and silicon carbide lining materials may be supplied within a relative short leadtime.
ELMON is a concept for monolithic, jointless linings, consisting of several layers of carefully selected ELTAP™ products, to ensure the right temperature profiles will be maintained and resistance againts chemical and gas attached is achieved.
The main constituents in Elkem ELTAP™ products are electrically calcined carbon, with a medium to high level of graphitic structure, and silicon carbide.
Most of the ELTAP™ products are produced by order, with relative short leadtimes. This creates several benefits compared to traditional carbon linings, for the following reasons:
- It is not necessary to maintain a complete block lining in inventory at all times
- Reduced down time when furnaces are shut down for maintenance
- Lower installation cost, both raw material cost and installation time
With ELTAP™ linings, Elkem Carbon adds value to our customers through:
- Increased and predictable lifetime of furnace linings
- Quick installation and easy handling
- Improved working environment
- Shorter delivery time than carbon blocks
The ELTAP™ lining pastes offer several advantages:
- A monolithic lining without voids and joints
- High oxidation resistance
- Better quality than most carbon blocks, since ELTAP™ is produced from electrically calcined carbon with a 30 – 80% graphitic structure
- Quicker installation time compared to block installation i.e. less production loss
- Ramming paste can be installed in any kind of shape, which may be necessary if the old steel shell of a furnace is maintained
- Optimal use through technical cooperation