US, York, SC Environmental Compliance Specialist (2023-019)
This position is responsible for supporting the success of the Health, Safety, Security, and Environmental (HSSE) Compliance program. This position’s responsibilities include leading the Environmental Compliance efforts, providing support to site Management-of-Change review process, and developing and managing projects to improve the organization’s impact on the environment. Recommends and supports the implementation of actions to ensure site activities are compliant with corporate, local, state, and federal EHS regulations. This position will lead the organization’s Environmental permitting efforts, representing Elkem with various local, state, and federal regulatory authorities. This position has an active role in leading and supporting various activities as they relate to the site’s Responsible Care Management System (RC 14001).
The successful candidate will work under general guidance to coordinate actions and lead various functions through influence in order to ensure best practices and compliance with regulations and company requirements. They will spend time on activities such as auditing lab and manufacturing equipment, coordinating responses to deviations, providing environmental training, researching environmental regulations to determine actions to take to correct deviations.
From a technical perspective, this role will work closely with other functional groups on site as a resource to institute solutions to identified environmental risks. He/she will also support HSSE continual improvement efforts by following up on actions assigned as output from Incident Reports, violations, Management of Change Submissions, etc. This position will provide ground-level environmental compliance support and guidance during critical phases of new equipment installation or startup after significant changes.
Finally, he/she will have responsibility for the administration of Health, Safety, Security, and Environmental Compliance Systems, driving the tracking, follow-up, and closure of reported HSSE deviations on the site. This includes reviewing and providing feedback to HSSE Manager on Environmental Compliance items in the New Process Introduction, MOC, and Incident Reporting systems, managing the site’s Hazardous Waste program and maintaining the site’s Environmental permits by ensuring all audits, inspections, and reports are completed on time and properly documented.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Engineering, Environmental Science, or other Science or Engineering degree with applicable experience
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience, primarily related to Environmental Compliance at a chemical manufacturer or Environmental consulting function
- Strong understanding of chemical manufacturing processes as they relate to compliance with environmental regulations
- Self-starter and ability to work independently
- Strong understand of environmental and security regulations/requirements (EPA, Homeland Security, etc.) applicable to the operation of a chemical manufacturing facility
- Prior experience leading various environmental permitting efforts (Air, Wastewater, Stormwater, SPCC, etc.) preferred
- Familiar with Quality and HSSE Mgmt. Systems such as RCMS, RC14001, ISO14001, ISO13485, cGMP, etc.
- Familiar with Lean Manufacturing concept and tools (i.e. Six Sigma experience or certification) desired.
- Ability to be organized with a strong attention to detail and time management skills required.
- Experience gathering and analyzing data to identify trends and identify applicable actions.
- Prior experience managing improvement projects is preferred.
- Proven ability to identify problems and propose successful resolutions.
- The ability to communicate effectively with all levels of leadership as well as with plant personnel.
- Knowledge of various IT systems including MS Office, SAP or similar systems and databases is desirable.
- Able to travel periodically, both domestic and international
Elkem will conduct a post-offer background check to confirm the information provided by candidates during the recruitment process. Additionally, a post-offer physical, including a substance screening, is required. Relevant candidates will be informed of this if it applies.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/Veteran/Disabled and if you are an individual with a disability, who requires an accommodation, please contact us.
- Region: North America
- Division: Silicones
- Job type: HSSE
- Working hours: Full Time
- Working days:
- Application deadline: 30.06.2023
- Location: York, SC