Certification at Elkem
Elkem requires all units to have detailed management systems for quality, environmental, health and safety. For some of these systems we also ask applicable plants for a third party system verification with ISO certification.
- ISO 9001 Quality Management System:
- All applicable sites are ISO 9001 certified.
- The Silicon Products division is covered by an umbrella certification which covers all applicable sites.
- ISO 14001 Environmental Management System:
- As of 2021 all applicable sites are required to have ISO 14001 certification.
- Most applicable sites in the Silicon Products division are certified. The remaining sites will be included in an umbrella certification by 2022/23.
- A small number of sites in the Silicones and Carbon Solutions divisions have not completed certification yet.
- Over 90% of applicable employees are covered by ISO 14001 certification.
- ISO 45001 Occupational Health and Safety
- Certification for ISO 45001 is not prioritized in Elkem as we see this sufficiently covered in the Corporate EHS Management system and internal follow-up of systems and performance.
- A total of six sites are ISO45001 certified.
- Approximately 25% of applicable employees are covered by OHSAS18001 / ISO 45001.
- ISO 50001 Energy Management
- Even though all sites are required to have an Energy Management system we do not require ISO 50001 certification.
- A total of four sites are ISO 50001 certified.
- With increased focus on energy we are in the process of initiating ISO 50001 certification requirements for plant with high energy consumption.
In addition to general certifications, like the ones mentions above, a number of Elkem plants also have topic specific certifications related to product areas like ISO 13485 for medical devices and EN 13263 for Silica fume in concrete.