Our definition of corporate social responsibility (CSR) is based on the UN Global Compact’s ten principles for human rights, labour rights, environment and anti-corruption, and we are a signatory to the UN Global Compact. CSR forms an important part of Elkem's business culture. All employees are obliged to follow Elkem's policies and principles, to report discrepancies according to company guidelines, and to help investigate and correct discrepancies.
CSR committee, organisation and reporting
Elkem has a CSR steering committee that is responsible for defining, obtaining necessary approvals from the corporate management and the board, and following up governing documents for corporate social responsibility. The committee is also responsible for Elkem's sustainability reporting, including progress on environmental, social and economic development within the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI).
Each location and function in Elkem is responsible for understanding how Elkem's CSR policy affects their specific working environment and implementing necessary procedures and routines to ensure full compliance.
The formal CSR framework in Elkem includes the following policies and documents:
- General policy of Elkem AS
- Elkem policy for corporate social responsibility
- Mandate for the CSR steering committee
- Code of conduct
- Whistle blowing
- Anti-corruption policy
- Competition law compliance policy
- Annual sustainability report
You can find our Code of conduct online.
Elkem's policy for corporate social responsibility is also available online.
If interested you can also find our CSR policy in Norwegian here (policy for samfunnsansvar).
On a day-to-day basis, support for Elkem’s CSR activities is given by corporate and divisional functions.
Corporate help chain functions (HR, EHS, EBS, Legal department)
- Support for competence building and change management within the areas of ethics and social responsibility
- Auditing of own business, suppliers, customers and partners
Corporate and divisional procurement functions
- Mapping and basic monitoring of suppliers in relation to Elkem's expectations
- Collaboration with suppliers to improve identified discrepancies
- Termination of relationships with suppliers when necessary
Corporate and divisional sales functions
- Mapping and basic monitoring of the business functions (sales office, distributor, agent and customer)
- Collaboration with agents, distributors and customers to improve identified discrepancies
- Termination of relationships with agents and customers when necessary.
Training and education
All employees are given documented training in Elkem's Code of conduct. Training includes details about Elkem policies related to social responsibility and focus on understanding how local culture and customs can influence the perception of what is acceptable in different situations. Selected groups employees and agents doing business with Elkem’s products are also required to have documented training in Elkem’s Anti-corruption and Competition law compliance policy. Each unite is responsible for its own implementation and documentation of training, with support from the corporate HR and Legal department.
Employees who conduct supplier audits receive additional training in recognised international standards and the use of audit tools. The corporate EHS and CSR function is closely involved in this type of training.