Emulsion Based - Release Coating Systems
Expand your options with emulsion-based silicone release coatings
Elkem Silicones’ SILCOLEASE™ Emulsion Thermal technology range offers unique benefits for many applications and is the technology of choice for paper machine application.
What is a Silicone Emulsion Release Coating?
The Benefits of Emulsion Release Coatings:
- Emulsion release coatings are reactive silicone oils dispersed into an aqueous (water-based) system to eliminate VOC emissions versus the use of solvent-based coatings.
- Emulsion release coating formulations are easily modified to obtain a variety of release levels, additives can be used to modify specific processing and performance properties, and the coat weights are easily adjustable to achieve the proper level of coverage for a given application.
- These coatings are particularly suitable for applications on more porous papers.
- Since these are water-based, clean-up is simpler than using harsh solvents.
- The flexibility of emulsion coatings allows application onto wide web substrates, inline on paper machines, inline on PET film extruder coaters and can be applied using common coating methods including Mayer rod, size press and gravure.
- From a regulatory perspective, silicone-based emulsion coatings are compliant for use in food packaging applications where other technologies may not have the same approvals.
- Silicone emulsions allow the silicone to be deposited uniformly in a thin coating across the paper surface, minimizing gaps, voids, or pinholes.
The end use for silicone emulsion release coatings is wide and can include applications for bakery papers, food packaging, roll labels, composite manufacturing, roofing and construction and hygiene liner products.
Our SILCOLEASETM Technical Service experts can answer your questions regarding emulsion release formulations. Do you need a tight release or an easy release? Are you researching emulsion coatings for filmic liners? Please contact our experts to answer your questions and find solutions to deliver your potential.
Elkem’s commitment to Sustainability
Sustainability is central to our business strategy. Our mission is to provide advanced material solutions shaping a better and more sustainable future, adding value to our stakeholders globally.
Elkem defines sustainability work as continuous efforts to maximise our positive impact on the environment and societies around us, as well as to minimise any negative impact. As a global company, we affect the environment and communities around the world every day. And through the products we make, we have a foot print in our supply chain and make new solutions possible.
Disclosure is a primary part of this engagement, and we can proudly state that in 2020, Elkem received a Gold rating from Ecovadis and was ranked by CDP in the Climate A List.
Read more at Sustainability | Elkem.com
About Elkem Silicones
Elkem Silicones has more than 4 200 employees dedicated to delivering your potential by providing you innovative silicone solutions with a personal touch. Elkem Silicones, a division of Elkem, is a global leader in fully integrated silicone manufacturing, operating 14 multi-functional manufacturing sites and 13 Research & Innovation centers around the globe. Elkem Silicones offers a full range of silicone technologies for diverse specialty markets including aerospace, automotive, construction, renewable energy, healthcare, paper coatings, personal care and textiles. Elkem Silicones is committed to create new, innovative and green solutions and business models that promote a sustainable future. To learn more, please visit Elkem Silicones Website
About Elkem ASA
Elkem is one of the world’s leading providers of advanced material solutions shaping a better and more sustainable future. The company develops silicones, silicon products and carbon solutions by combining natural raw materials, renewable energy and human ingenuity. Elkem helps its customers create and improve essential innovations like electric mobility, digital communications, health and personal care as well as smarter and more sustainable cities. With a strong track record since 1904, its global team of more than 7,000 people has a joint commitment to stakeholders: Delivering your potential. In 2021, Elkem was rated among the world’s leading companies on climate, with a roadmap towards net zero emissions by 2050, and achieved an operating income of NOK 33.7 billion. Elkem is listed on the Oslo Stock Exchange (ticker: ELK). To learn more, please visit Elkem Website