Medical grade Soft Skin Adhesives and Elastomers to facilitate wound healing and provide a gentle, non-irritating adhesion, even to the most delicate skin.
Medical grade Silicones used in low trauma wound management
Manufacturers of wound care products use silicones as a Soft Skin Adhesive (SSA) in the production of skin-friendly, low-trauma bandages, dressings and surgical tapes. The goal is not only to alleviate pain when removing the dressing, but also to avoid exacerbating existing wounds and ulcers or creating skin damage.
Beyond hospital use, SSA are used more and more in consumer applications (Over-The-Counter) because they provide maximum comfort, are easily repositionable and are proven to significantly reduce scars.
The burden of chronic wounds on healthcare systems is increasing throughout the world. Silbione™ Soft Skin Adhesive are materials of choice for the production of wound contact layers, because they have demonstrated their inherent benefits :
- Proven biocompatibility according to ISO 10993 and reduced skin irritation versus traditional adhesives
- No trauma upon removal on the peripheral skin and the wound itself, improving patient comfort and compliance
- Compatibility with other materials in the dressing (Polyurethane films, Non-wovens) and with efficient manufacturing processes
Consumers are familiar with the unpleasant feeling of removing traditional bandages, typically based on hot-melt and acrylic adhesives. Using Silbione™ Soft Skin Adhesives in the production of Over-the-Counter (OTC) products like bandages and orthoptic patches will allow consumers to :
- Reduce irritation and sensitization linked with traditional adhesives
- Remove pain and trauma upon removal of the bandages
- Reposition the dressing up to 10 times
Many self-adhesive products can be used during surgical procedures, including surgical drapes protecting the patient or adhesive tapes to temporarily attach something to the body. The typical wear time can range from minutes to several days, during which the adhesion to skin should be maintained while maintaining a high level of comfort for the patient. Medical grade silicone adhesives can be considered in such applications to :
- Reduce occurrence of Medical Adhesive Related Skin Injury (MARSI) thanks to the superior biocompatibility of silicones
- Reduce the pain experienced by the patient during the adhesive tape or drape removal
- Provide repositionability features to the adhesive product
At Elkem Silicones, we are dedicated people located around the globe, committed to your success. Whether you are looking for a product recommendation, for customized silicone solutions, or for regulatory support, we have the people in place when and where you want them. If you have a medical device related project, contact us and our experts will be there to help.