In order to deliver excellent results on BBBEE, Elkem Carbon Ferroveld in South Africa has implemented policies in the several areas.
Broad Based Black Economic Empowerment in South Africa
In order to deliver excellent results on BBBEE, Elkem Carbon Ferroveld, South Africa, in conjunction with co-owner Samancor Chrome, has implemented policies in the following areas:
- Employment equity through appointing people in line with a strategy of preferential employment of disadvantaged racial groups.
- Skills development through continuous training of employees and offering scholarships and leaderships for company members.
- Preferential procurement through awarding contracts to black owned companies as well as developing black owned businesses.
- Socio economic development through working with the community to improve the lives of community members within the communities that the company operates. The following projects have been undertaken:
- A school kitchen has been built for the Jeremiah Ndaka Primary School. The school is situated within 5 kilometers of the plant and offer schooling to 1450 pupils.
- Contribution to the furnishing and medical equipment of a primary health clinic that will allow all members of the community access to primary health care.
This article was first published in Elkem’s sustainability report 2015.
Read our sustainability reporting