Technical trainee programme
We are looking for tomorrow's technical experts, with passion for sustainability, technology and continuous improvement. As our technical trainee, you will take part in our innovative projects to increase the sustainability and efficiency of our operations across the world.
In our two-year technical trainee programme, you will be given challenging work assignments and projects, a personal mentor and an individual development plan. This is a unique opportunity for personal and professional development and an excellent way to kick-start your career in the processing industry.
When and how do I apply?
We usually hire 4-5 trainees each fall semester. The trainee positions are posted on our website, FINN and in our social media channels, with application deadline in October. You will start the programme after graduation in August the following year.
How do we choose the trainee rotations?
During your two years as a trainee, you will have three rotations, primarily in our Norwegian plants. There are also opportunities for trainee rotations in one of our international plants, our research facilities or our head office. The rotations will also be chosen in cooperation with the trainee, and we strive for the optimal match between ongoing projects and the trainee's competence and wish for further development. As a trainee in Elkem, you will always work in real, meaningful projects where you will learn a lot about how we work and be given unique opportunities for personal and professional development.
The main work assignments will be based on your competence and interests, and could include:
- Operation-related issues, based on continuous improvement
- Research and development projects on processes and products
- Environmental and energy efficiency projects to increase sustainability
- The work assignments will vary according to the needs of the receiving unit
You will also participate in student happenings at universities and write posts for the trainee blog about your experiences in Elkem.
Who are we looking for?
- Recent graduates with maximum two years of relevant work experience
- Master of Science with great academic results in Materials technology, mechanical engineering, electro, energy & environment, cybernetics, nanotechnology, mechatronics, physics or chemical engineering
- Good communication skills in English and a Scandinavian language, preferably Norwegian
- Flexible when it comes to tasks and geographical mobility
To thrive as a trainee in Elkem, we believe that you should be highly motivated to join a challenging and exciting trainee programme where you will get to know many new colleagues and learn a lot about how we work. You have excellent cooperation skills, show initiative, and take responsibility for your tasks. In order to succeed in the role of trainee, it is important that you have outstanding analytical skills and quickly become familiar with new disciplines and topics. You are curious and eager to learn and have a great desire to contribute to development and continuous improvement.
You can contact our trainee coordinator for more information, and also read our inspiring trainee blog.
Want to work with us?
Our trainee programme in brief:
- Permanent position in Elkem
- Three rotations in Elkem’s plants and units in Norway or internationally
- Local mentor as well as support from our trainee coordinator
- Participation in trainee gatherings with experienced trainees
- Onboarding programme with introduction gathering, on-the-job training, and both internal and external courses
- Individual development plan