- Smarter cities & construction
- Architecture & decoration
- Paints and Coatings
Silicone-based Paints and Coatings
How do Elkem improve paints and coatings?
Silicone-based Paints and Coatings for industrial and consumer markets
In industrial processing, silicone-based coatings are used in many areas. Tire manufacturers, for example, use silicone-based coatings to assure quality through reliable release performance in the molding process. For the shipping industry, paints with silicone additives increase the efficiency of vessels (faster speed and less fuel consumption) and avoid the use of traditional antifouling paints using toxic materials. Industrial paint-makers use silicones to improve adherence, waterproofing and resistance to extreme conditions.
Elkem in paints disperse pigments to enhance colors, flow and leveling agents ensure coverage and perfect finishes, while SILCOLAPSE™ antifoams eliminate surface defects caused by bubbles. For special paints and coatings, silicone resins increase resistance to high temperatures and protect against water penetration.
In consumer goods, silicone coatings are also used in a vast number of products and applications, from airbags to technical textiles and leather goods, providing the right characteristics for each product and the look-and-feel consumers want.
Functional and decorative self-adhesive labels are present everywhere, but rely on the unrivaled non-stick performance of silicone coatings of paper and films to carry them to their end destination.
Silicone-based coatings protect, preserve and bring functionality and style to any and all surfaces. They are chosen over other materials for their technical and mechanical characteristics and their flexibility:
- Delivered in different forms, from liquids to elastomers, making them easy to use and adaptable to various applications
- Safe and non-toxic to comply with industrial standards and consumer demand
- Weather resistant
- Resistant to chemicals and extreme weather conditions
- Water repellent
Because of their versatility, silicone-based coatings are used in a great number of applications:
- Release coating of paper and film
- Textile coating for airbag applications
- Tire release
- Protective paints
- Antifouling coatings in naval shipping
- Genuine and artificial leather
- Outdoor furniture
- Protection of printed text on food packaging
- Technical textiles
- Creation of soft and smooth surfaces in accessories and clothing
- In additives to enhance leveling, smoothing or reduced foaming.
Elkem has thus developed specific brands for specialized paints and coatings applications:
- LYNDCOAT™ reactive emulsions and lubricants to help release tires from their manufacturing molds
- SILCOLEASE™ release coatings for paper and film coating make sure that nothing stays stuck, from self-adhesive labels to sticky buns.
- BLUESIL™ TCS to ensure the performance and safety of automotive airbags and enhance technical textiles and architectural membranes through specific features.
- Making buildings more energy-efficient by using BLUESIL™ water repellents to waterproof masonry, while maintaining breathability, so that heat is not lost by increased thermal conductivity and in evaporating absorbed water.
- Minimizing the maintenance of constructions and keeping them looking good via BLUESIL™ BP (Building Protection) additives for decorative paints, also preventing water absorption and avoiding freeze-thaw damage, swelling/bending and growth of fungi, algae, moss or even rot.
- Speeding up ships and making them more fuel-efficient thanks to environmentally-friendly marine antifouling paints, for which Elkem has developed a patented catalytic technology.
To deliver the solutions you need, we not only provide you with tailor-made silicone ingredients, formulations and products for coating applications, but also give you access to our related silicone technologies and all the expertise within our group. We understand your desire for innovation and differentiation and we are available to advise you, amaze you and provide you with outstanding solutions.
Take your business to the next level by partnering-up with a global leading material manufacturer.