Open innovation and collaborative mindset
With more than 30 national and European collaborative projects in partnerships with start-ups, small and medium-sized enterprises, big companies, academics and clusters, Elkem is highly recognized for its open and innovative mindset. Through collaboration, Elkem wants to be at the forefront of new technologies, exploring mainly five essential topics, including:
- Energy efficiency and CO₂ emission reduction by, for example, replacing fossil coal with biomass in the production of silicon and ferrosilicon alloys.
- Circular economy, mainly on recycling (including waste and end-of-life) and eco-design (products and processes).
- New materials, for instance in 3D printing and additive manufacturing processes, battery cells and batteries, and lightweight materials.
- R&I digitalization, processes and new materials modelling to speed up the capture of value.
- Technology scouting to better anticipate the future needs of our customers and markets.
Elkem is focused on pursuing strategic investments in new attractive technologies developed by start-up companies around the world that enable and accelerate Elkem’s business growth and value.
We take an active role in the companies we invest in and deploy Elkem capabilities and resources, when appropriate, to maximize value creation.