Industry for the environment
Elkem's innovation Iceland delivers environmental benefits and it is the company's strategy to be the first carbon-neutral silicon metal plant by 2040, which also means that Elkem Iceland will be the first such plant in all of Europe.
Our newest environment report
Environmental aspects are those aspects of Elkem Iceland operations that can have an impact on the environment, such as the landfill of by-products and emissions of substances to air.
Extensive environmental monitoring is carried out in the vicinity of the industrial site at Grundartangi.
Periodic measurements of the main environmental aspects of the work are carried out in accordance with the Elkem Iceland operating licence. Elkem's environmental reports Iceland can be viewed here:
- Environment Report 2022
- Environment Report 2021
- Environment Report 2020
- Environment Report 2019
- Environment Report 2018
- Environment Report 2017
- Environment Report 2016
Every year a summary report is issued for the monitoring of environmental aspects for the industrial area in Grundartangi. The Environmental Monitoring Programme is approved by the Environment Agency and all studies are carried out independently.
- Environmental Monitoring Programme 2018 to 2028
- Environmental Monitoring Report 2022
- Environmental Monitoring Report 2021
- Environmental Monitoring Report 2020
- Environmental Monitoring Report 2019
- Environmental Monitoring Report 2018
- Environmental Monitoring Report 2017
- Environmental Monitoring Report 2016
Brief summary of key environmental monitoring findings
- Environmental Monitoring Summary 2022
- Environmental Monitoring Summary 2021
- Environmental Monitoring Summary 2019
- Environmental Monitoring Summary 2018
- Environmental Monitoring Summary 2017
Since 1990, the Icelandic Institute of Natural History has monitored the release of heavy metals into mosses in Iceland in comparison with other European countries.
- Report on heavy metals and sulphur in moss in Iceland 1990-2015
- Report on heavy metals and sulphur in moss in Iceland 1990-2010
Other information on requirements in Elkem's operating license Iceland as well as environmental monitoring can be found on the Environment Agency's website: