- About Elkem
- Our Worldwide Presence
- Elkem Bjølvefossen
The plant is situated in the beautiful natural surroundings of the small town of Åvik, in the western part of Norway.
The plant was founded in 1905. Since the 1920s, Bjølvefossen has been producing ferroalloys for the international iron and steel industry.
Today the plant specializes in producing ferrosilicon and magnesium-ferrosilicon master alloys. Bjølvefossen is amongst the world’s largest producers of magnesium-ferrosilicon, producing 120 grades of nodularisers and speciality FeSi products.
Elkem Bjølvefossen products
Iron foundry alloys for defect-free, cost-effective cast iron production.
Ferrosilicon (FeSi) is an alloy of iron and silicon that is principally used in steelmaking for deoxidation and as an alloying component.
Elkem Bjølvefossen certificates
The plant was founded to develop and exploit the hydroelectric power resources.
- 3 reduction furnaces, relatively modest size and allow the plant’s flexibility to custom-make products to suit customer’s needs.
- 155 employees
- “Most employees in Bjølvefossen have a long history with us and a long experience and work here for more than 10 – 30 years.”
- Production of 120 grades of nodularisers and speciality FeSi products
- Annual capacity of 60.000 mt
- Its name comes from the very lifeblood of the melting works, namely the waterfalls of the Bjølvo watercourse.
Elkem Bjølvefossen related markets
Sustainability at Elkem
To learn more about our sustainability initiatives, check our webpage.
Take your business to the next level by partnering-up with a global leading material manufacturer.