- Personal care & consumer goods
- Personal care
- Hair care
Silicones: the superior performance ingredients for haircare products
Maintain, protect and restore beautiful hair with silicones
Consumers around the world desire haircare products specific to their needs. Brands need to take into account a wide variety of hair types, different levels and types of damage caused by chemical treatments (e.g., coloration, perm, straightening), environmental factors, daily grooming and heat styling.
Formulators are challenged with creating products that improve hair manageability, impart shine, control volume and protect against damage.
Silicones are inherently low in surface energy, high in gas permeability (breathability), and excellent in heat stability.
Consequently, silicones are superior to many carbon-based materials in reducing inter-fiber friction, increase softness, impart hydrophobicity (water repellency) and all the attributes of healthy and undamaged hair.
Silicones have been widely used in haircare products since the 1970s. They enhance performance in numerous products such as shampoos (standard and sulfate-free), rinse-off and leave-on conditioners, hair masks, hair oils, frizz control serums, shine sprays, pomade and many more. The range of benefits silicones bring to haircare is vast: ease of detangling, smoothness, shine, frizz control, thermal protection, UV and color protection, damage repair and reduced drying time.
Our product offering
Elkem Silicones offers a wide range of silicone technologies to help formulators meet market needs and trends. Our range includes:
- Dimethicone fluids with viscosities from 2 cst to 500,000 cst, volatile to non-volatile
- Gum blends with volatile or non-volatile silicone carriers
- Emulsions of amino functional silicones, dimethicones
- Phenyl modified silicones: phenyl trimethicone, diphenyl dimethicone, etc.
- Specialty silicones: amino functional silicones, alkyl functional silicones
- Silicone emulsifiers: water in silicone emulsifier, water in silicone and oil emulsifier, etc.
- Silicone elastomer gels in a range of carrier fluids, volatile to non-volatile, silicone to naturally derived organic carrier
- Silicone resin film formers in volatile and non-volatile carriers.
Check out our youtube video to know more about Elkem Silicones in Personal Care:
Why partner with Elkem Silicones in hair care?
In addition to our current offering, we continue to launch new products to support customers in innovation and improve on sustainability. Our knowledgeable staff and state-of-the-art application labs can assist you in creating your next innovative formulations.
Silicone for Personal Care
Everything you need to know about Elkem for Personal Care
Five places you did not expect to find silicone as a product-enhancing material
Most of us like to use shampoo in the shower and sunscreen on the beach, and for many consumers daily use of deodorants is a must. Sounds familiar? Then the probability is high that you surround yourself with silicone on a regular basis
Every year, hundreds of thousands of personal care and cosmetic products are launched worldwide. A high percentage of these use silicones in their formulations to enhance their efficacy in a wide variety of applications.
Elkem has a long history in delivering sustainable silicone products to the personal care and cosmetic products industries, leveraging on more than 70 years of the proven performance of silicones to help our customers delivering their potential.
What are silicones?
Silicones are inert synthetic compounds that come in a variety of forms (including oil, rubber and resin). Typically, heat-resistant and rubber-like, they are present in sealants, adhesives, lubricants, medical applications, personal care products, cookware and insulation. Silicones are polymers that contain silicon, combined with carbon, hydrogen and oxygen and, in some cases, other elements.
Here are five places where you perhaps did not expect to find silicone as a product-enhancing material:
- In hair care products (shampoo and conditioners, shine sprays and frizz serums, etc.) they provide superior conditioning, add shine, control frizz, and provide easy detangling and protection from further damage.
- In skin care products (creams, lotions, and anti-aging serums, acne treatments, etc.) they add a silky-smooth feel to the skin and mask fine lines to deliver the attributes of a healthier and more youthful appearance.
- In sunscreen products (skin creams, lotions and foundations with sun protection factor, SPF) they reduce the tackiness of organic sunscreens, boost the SPF and increase the water repellency
- In color cosmetics (lipsticks and lip colors, foundations, eye shadows, primers, powders, etc.) they impart color intensity, uniformity, non-transfer, luminosity and comfort with long lasting performance
- In APDEO products (anti-perspirant and deodorant gels, sticks, roll-ons and aerosols) they reduce the whiteness and the tack of the antiperspirant salt, improve skin feel and provide easy glide.
Elkem has developed several product brands focusing on innovation and technologies to help customers innovate and differentiate.