- Personal care & consumer goods
- Personal care
- Skin care
Silicones boost the perceivable benefits of skin care products
Silicones, delivering the delights of a healthier and more youthful-looking skin
Are you looking to improve the performance of your skin care formulation?
Today’s consumers are increasingly focused on wellness, self-care and the sustainability of our planet. They want more plant-based choices. While natural skin care products are appealing, they often prove challenging in delivering the performance consumers desire. Silicones, proven performance enhancers in skin products, have been working in concert with natural ingredients to deliver the performance promise since the 1950s.
Breathable and non-comedogenic, silicones are versatile additives that have been delivering a myriad of benefits in skin care products for many years.
Silicones are multifunctional ingredients that:
- Facilitate the formulation process through enhanced spreading, uniform application, reduced tackiness of humectants and sunscreens, minimized greasiness of natural oils and fats
- Deliver significant and easily perceivable benefits to consumers: silkiness, smooth and moisturized feel, healthy glow, masking fine lines, boosting SPF in sunscreens, delivering skin care actives for long-term effects and many more benefits.
Our product offerings for skin care
A wide range of standard and high-performance silicone products are available under the Mirasil™ and PURESIL™ brands in the following categories:
- Dimethicone Fluids, with viscosity from 2 cst to 500,000 cst, volatile to non-volatile
- Gum Blends with volatile or non-volatile silicone carriers
- Emulsions of amino silicones, dimethicones
- Phenyl modified silicones: phenyl trimethicone, diphenyl dimethicone, etc.
- Specialty silicones: amine modified silicones, alkyl functional silicones
- Silicone emulsifiers: water in silicone emulsifier, water in silicone and oil emulsifier, etc.
- Silicone elastomer gels in a range of carrier fluids, volatile to non-volatile, silicone to naturally derived organic carrier
- Silicone resin film formers in volatile and non-volatile carriers.
- Silicone resin microspheres
Why partner with Elkem Silicones in skin care?
In addition to our current offering, we continue to launch new products to support customers in innovation and improve on sustainability. Our knowledgeable staff and state-of-the-art application labs can assist you in creating your next innovative formulations
Silicone is present in many cosmetic products that we use every day without knowing it.
Silicone for Personal Care
Everything you need to know about Elkem for Personal Care
Five places you did not expect to find silicone as a product-enhancing material
Most of us like to use shampoo in the shower and sunscreen on the beach, and for many consumers daily use of deodorants is a must. Sounds familiar? Then the probability is high that you surround yourself with silicone on a regular basis
Every year, hundreds of thousands of personal care and cosmetic products are launched worldwide. A high percentage of these use silicones in their formulations to enhance their efficacy in a wide variety of applications.
Elkem has a long history in delivering sustainable silicone products to the personal care and cosmetic products industries, leveraging on more than 70 years of the proven performance of silicones to help our customers delivering their potential.
What are silicones?
Silicones are inert synthetic compounds that come in a variety of forms (including oil, rubber and resin). Typically, heat-resistant and rubber-like, they are present in sealants, adhesives, lubricants, medical applications, personal care products, cookware and insulation. Silicones are polymers that contain silicon, combined with carbon, hydrogen and oxygen and, in some cases, other elements.
Here are five places where you perhaps did not expect to find silicone as a product-enhancing material:
- In hair care products (shampoo and conditioners, shine sprays and frizz serums, etc.) they provide superior conditioning, add shine, control frizz, and provide easy detangling and protection from further damage.
- In skin care products (creams, lotions, and anti-aging serums, acne treatments, etc.) they add a silky-smooth feel to the skin and mask fine lines to deliver the attributes of a healthier and more youthful appearance.
- In sunscreen products (skin creams, lotions and foundations with sun protection factor, SPF) they reduce the tackiness of organic sunscreens, boost the SPF and increase the water repellency
- In color cosmetics (lipsticks and lip colors, foundations, eye shadows, primers, powders, etc.) they impart color intensity, uniformity, non-transfer, luminosity and comfort with long lasting performance
- In APDEO products (anti-perspirant and deodorant gels, sticks, roll-ons and aerosols) they reduce the whiteness and the tack of the antiperspirant salt, improve skin feel and provide easy glide.
Elkem has developed several product brands focusing on innovation and technologies to help customers innovate and differentiate.