Silicones enable the performance without sacrificing the comfort
Silicones: delivering uncompromised beauty
Are you looking to improve the performance of your color cosmetic formulation?
For many, color cosmetics are essential when it comes to looking beautiful and boosting confidence. To meet consumers’ desire, significant advancements have been made in this category through innovation and material science. Options for masking imperfection are no longer limited to covering with pigments, but also create radiance and translucency for a healthy and youthful glow. Lipsticks, eyeliners, and foundation can be waterproof and transfer resistance to last all day. As consumers prefer more natural ingredients, the question is can we deliver the same promise?
Breathable and non-comedogenic, silicones are performance ingredients working in concert with organic and naturals to deliver the promise.
Versatile silicone technologies allow the creation of many forms and functions:
- Enhanced spreading, uniform application and pigment dispersion;
- Adhesion of film formers for waterproof, non-transfer and long-lasting features, while retaining a silky smooth and moisturized feel;
- Optical diffraction properties of elastomers for wrinkle blurring with powdery and velvety skin feel
- SPF boosting and luxurious sensorial properties that enable the benefit of skin and sun care in makeup products.
In addition, Elkem Silicones continues to launch new products to meet the consumer needs for performance, natural product and sustainability. For example, the newly launched PURESIL™ ORG 01 is a high performing, eco-friendly silicone elastomer with over 80 % composition derived from sustainably sourced sugarcane.
Our product offerings for skin care
A wide range of standard and high performance silicone products are available under the MIRASIL™ and PURESIL™ brands in the following categories:
- Dimethicone fluids with viscosity from 2 cst to 500,000 cst, volatile to non-volatile
- Gum blends with volatile or non-volatile silicone carriers
- Emulsions of amino functional silicones, dimethicone
- Phenyl modified silicones: phenyl trimethicone, diphenyl dimethicone, etc.
- Specialty silicones: amino functional silicones, alkyl functional silicones
- Silicone emulsifiers: water in silicone emulsifier, water in silicone and oil emulsifier, etc.
- Silicone elastomer gels in a range of carrier fluids, volatile to non-volatile, silicone to naturally derived organic carrier
- Silicone elastomer powder
- Silicone resin film formers in volatile and non-volatile carriers.
Silicone for Personal Care
Everything you need to know about Elkem for Personal Care
Why partner with Elkem Silicones in Color Cosmetics?
In addition to our current offering, we continue to launch new products to support customers in innovation and improve on sustainability. Our knowledgeable staff and state-of-the-art application labs can assist you in creating your next innovative formulations.
Five places you did not expect to find silicone as a product-enhancing material
Most of us like to use shampoo in the shower and sunscreen on the beach, and for many consumers daily use of deodorants is a must. Sounds familiar? Then the probability is high that you surround yourself with silicone on a regular basis
Every year, hundreds of thousands of personal care and cosmetic products are launched worldwide. A high percentage of these use silicones in their formulations to enhance their efficacy in a wide variety of applications.
Elkem has a long history in delivering sustainable silicone products to the personal care and cosmetic products industries, leveraging on more than 70 years of the proven performance of silicones to help our customers delivering their potential.
What are silicones?
Silicones are inert synthetic compounds that come in a variety of forms (including oil, rubber and resin). Typically, heat-resistant and rubber-like, they are present in sealants, adhesives, lubricants, medical applications, personal care products, cookware and insulation. Silicones are polymers that contain silicon, combined with carbon, hydrogen and oxygen and, in some cases, other elements.
Here are five places where you perhaps did not expect to find silicone as a product-enhancing material:
- In hair care products (shampoo and conditioners, shine sprays and frizz serums, etc.) they provide superior conditioning, add shine, control frizz, and provide easy detangling and protection from further damage.
- In skin care products (creams, lotions, and anti-aging serums, acne treatments, etc.) they add a silky-smooth feel to the skin and mask fine lines to deliver the attributes of a healthier and more youthful appearance.
- In sunscreen products (skin creams, lotions and foundations with sun protection factor, SPF) they reduce the tackiness of organic sunscreens, boost the SPF and increase the water repellency
- In color cosmetics (lipsticks and lip colors, foundations, eye shadows, primers, powders, etc.) they impart color intensity, uniformity, non-transfer, luminosity and comfort with long lasting performance
- In APDEO products (anti-perspirant and deodorant gels, sticks, roll-ons and aerosols) they reduce the whiteness and the tack of the antiperspirant salt, improve skin feel and provide easy glide.
Elkem has developed several product brands focusing on innovation and technologies to help customers innovate and differentiate.