Silicone materials for formula makers of construction applications
Satisfy customers' demand for quality of materials and diversification of formulation by continuous technical innovation
Human progress can to a large extent be measured by the way we construct our homes, gathering places and landmark buildings. Since the dawn of time, new techniques and new materials have transformed our architectural ideas and landscapes. Silicone sealants were a major breakthrough in modern architecture, enabling professionals to combine different building materials, such as steel, glass, concrete and stone to build spectacular and more efficient buildings.
The first silicone sealant cartridge, revolutionizing how various construction components were assembled and sealed, was created by Elkem on its site in St. Fons, near Lyon, France in 1957!
Since then, Elkem has continued to develop new silicone-based raw materials which are formulated with different functional group structures in the organic silicon polymer main chain or side chain. These ingredients include, for example, alcohol, methyl, other functional organic silicone groups, polymers to create specific sealants that provide greater weather and temperature resistance, higher levels of waterproofing, better adhesive strength, anti-parasite and mold resistance and an almost unlimited number of features. In short, silicone formulations improve the strength, flexibility, and resistance of buildings and ensure their long-term structural integrity so they can stand the test of time.
What are the main advantages of Elkem silicone-based materials for making customized formulations for the construction sector?
Elkem produces its own formulations and ready-to-use sealants, but also supplies specialty downstream formula producers with the silicone and silane-modified polymer materials they need to achieve diverse functional requirements. These raw materials, available in a wide range of viscosities, can be used for sealant formulations, but also as primers and auxiliaries. Because of its fully-integrated manufacturing expertise and facilities, from raw silicate processing to the production of silicone raw materials and customized formulations, Elkem can satisfy the entire range of formulation needs.
OH Polymers, the main base materials for construction sealants
OH polymers, also referred to as H-48 or methyl-terminated dihydroxy polydimethylsiloxane, are typically colorless transparent viscous liquids, used as the base polymers for making specific silicone rubber elastomers, through reactions with crosslinkers and catalysts at room temperature. These various compounds can then be used for a wide range of purposes in many industries and, in particular in construction, as the base for sealants for building facades and cladding, installation of windows and doors, insulated glass panes, interior decoration, kitchen and bathroom caulking (with the anti-mold additives) for all types of construction from residential to commercial spaces industrial buildings, via transport infrastructures.
The final cured silicone rubbers, when formulated to exacting specifications, offer many advantages for construction applications:
- Long-lasting sealant protection and elasticity
- Resistance to extreme temperatures, from -60 to 200 °C
- Excellent chemical stability and ageing properties
- Specific formulation ingredients to counter corrosion
- Resistance to water, moisture and mold
- Non-toxic substances to ensure safety for manufacturers, installers and end-users
- Insulation and low shrinkage.
Our product offering
Elkem provides three types of polymers for formulation, including OH polymer, silicone oil and modified silicone polymer, which are introduced as per customers’ demands and applications by Elkem technician and sales.
- BLUESIL™ FLD 48 & BLUESIL™ FLD P48 are α,ω-dihydroxy polydimethylsiloxane, colorless transparent viscous liquid, typically used as the basic formulation polymer of RTV products in sealing, bonding and coating applications, cured by reacting with crosslinker and catalyst at room temperature, offer wide ranges of viscosity options, meet SVHC requirement on cyclics content and special ionic content.
- BLUESIL™ FLD 47 is polydimethysiloxane,is colorless,odorless,non-toxic oily liquid, It is widely used in building material,electronics,transportation. offer wide range of viscosity option, meet SVHC requirement on cyclics content.
- BLUESIL™ POLY SP is silicone modified polymer for construction sealant and coating product formulators, offering wide range of viscosity and variety of end-groups option to develop special formulations, like MS sealant with excellent adhesion, weather resistance, non-toxic, harmless, isocyanate free, safety and environmental protection and good surface paintability.
Why choose Elkem as your partner for silicone rubber molding and casting applications?
Silicone-based formulations are the material of choice for a wide range of building applications, because they are versatile, customizable, safe and easy to process, provide innovative and robust performance features and guarantee safety for manufacturers, building professionals and end-users.
Silicones solutions for construction cover such a wide variety of applications that it is essential for formula makers to confer with our experts and salespeople to make sure they get the right products and the right support. We are available to work closely with manufacturers to meet current needs and in long-term R&D partnerships to develop customized products that meet evolving market needs and regulatory changes.
Take your business to the next level by partnering-up with a global leading material manufacturer.