- Smarter cities & construction
- Sealing & insulation
- Insulated glass panes
Perfect silicone solutions for insulated glass panes
Long - term improvement of insulating glass and energy-saving effect
Energy efficiency has become the number one priority in the construction sector, as builders seek to contribute to the increasing demand for sustainable homes and working spaces. This requirement applies both to new buildings and renovations. Insulated glass panes for windows and structural glazing are one the most important components in achieving this key objective. Insulated glass for windows and structural glazing, to be energy efficient, must be airtight, waterproof and, when needed in specific environments, contribute to soundproofing and protect against dust or insects.
Silicone sealant products enable the making of translucent and efficient multiple glass layers that bond materials solidly and adjust flexibly to fluctuations of size and pressure brought on by changes in temperature, humidity, wind and other environmental conditions.
What are the main long-term advantages of Elkem silicone-based materials for sealing and bon ding insulated glass?
Elkem silicone has rich experience in insulating glass weatherproof sealing and structural bonding. The products have been strictly tested and conform to national and industry standards, with better strength, flexibility, temperature resistance and aging resistance, providing reliable, customized and innovative insulating glass sealing solutions adapted to unique profiles.
From a processing and installation point of view, silicone sealants for insulating windows and structural glazing offer the following advantages:
- Efficient extrudability, for production efficiency during installation
- Excellent two-way insulation, protecting against heat and cold transfer from the exterior to the interior and vice-versa
- Total translucency
- Sturdy mechanical properties to provide strong bonding between glass layers and perform under harsh temperature conditions
- Long-term resistance to degradation
- Innovative and custom silicone compounds adapted to unique profiles
- Non-toxic substances to ensure safety for manufacturers.
For property owners, residents and end-users, silicone sealants for insulating windows and structural glazing feature:
- Long-lasting sealant protection
- High insulating power in a wide range of temperature conditions, ensuring weatherproofing in all seasons and two-way performance (keeping cold out and heat in during the winter and the opposite in summer)
- Where required, flame-proof sealants to isolate different spaces from smoke and toxic fumes
- Excellent elasticity to prevent breakage
- Non-toxic substances to ensure safety for end-users.
Our product offering
STARSIL™ sealants features alkoxy silicone elastomers in one or two-component systems, featuring high-performance mechanical properties that are ideal for applications in silicone sealing of glass panes. These products cure at ambient temperature to form a strong, flexible long-lasting seal.
Here are two outstanding examples of efficient solutions for insulating glass panes in our vast product offering:
- STARSILTM SLT 9100 is two-component silicone sealant and fast curing, specially designed for assembly of insulating glass. The product meets the requirement for insulating glass sealing with high modulus and high strength that not only has the advantages of weather resistance ability, high temperature and low temperature resistance ability, good adhesion property as normal silicone sealant, but also exhibits low permeability rate. It use special two-component sealing machine to carry out construction and after mixing two components in a specified proportion, it cures and forms flexible rubber.
- STARSIL™ SLT 9200 is two-component silicone structural sealant, fast curing specially designed for assembly of insulating glass. The product meets the requirement for insulating glass structural sealing with high modulus and high strength. Use special two-component sealing machine to carry out construction. After mixing two components in a specified proportion, it cures and forms flexible rubber.
Why choose Elkem as your partner for silicone insulated window applications?
Elkem was the first silicone manufacturer to introduce a sealant cartridge in 1957 and since then, the company’s R&D, working closely with builders, has continued to develop new silicone-based applications for construction of all types, including insulated glass panes . Our products are versatile, customizable, safe and easy to process, provide innovative and robust performance features and guarantee safety for manufacturers, building professionals and end-users.
We are also available to all professionals to work collaboratively upstream on R&D to develop customized products that meet evolving market needs and regulatory changes.
Take your business to the next level by partnering-up with a global leading material manufacturer.