Tenbloc® inoculation inserts
Tenbloc® inoculation inserts
Tenbloc® inoculant inserts are unique in the mould inoculant blocks without a binder or other additive. Tenbloc® inoculant inserts provide consistent, reliable and cost-effective inoculation for ductile and grey irons.
Tenbloc® inoculant inserts assist foundries to produce castings with improved metallurgical structures and mechanical properties.
Tenbloc® inoculant inserts are manufactured by a unique powder metallurgical method, giving very accurate dimensions and weights. The blocks are produced in either cylindrical or taper shape, in the weight range from 5 g to 1000 g.
Production by this method results in Tenbloc® inoculant inserts having low thermal conductivity. This means Tenbloc® inoculant inserts start to dissolve immediately and continuously throughout the pour time ensuring all metal, particularly the first metal poured, is inoculated.
Careful selection of the raw materials ensures Tenbloc® inoculant inserts have uniform and consistent chemistry, providing homogeneous nucleation of the iron. Tenbloc® inoculant inserts are available in a wide range of analytical grades which can be tailored to suit specific foundry requirements for both ductile and grey iron.
Tenbloc® inoculant inserts typical grades are:
- Tenbloc® Std - Formulated to give good nodule count and shape and freedom from carbide in ductile iron
- Tenbloc® Std+Zr - Adding Zr to the Std grade effectively controls carbide formation particularly in thin sections where increased undercooling can cause problems.
- Tenbloc® Low Al – Restricting Al to <1% makes the Low Al grade well suited for grey iron inoculation minimising the risk of hydrogen pin-holing.
- Tenbloc® Low Al+Zr - Adding Zr to the Low Al grade effectively controls carbide formation particularly in thin sections where increased undercooling can cause problems.
- Tenbloc® MZ – MZ is suitable for both ductile and grey iron. The controlled amounts of Al, Ca and Zr give a strong inoculating effect and Mn increases the solubility of the block even when the pouring temperatures are low.
Tenbloc® inoculant inserts are also available with alternative grades. Many different grades can be produced and developed to suit specific foundry requirements. Elements such as Ba, Bi, Ce, La and Sr can be added, following discussions with our technical personnel. Smaller trial quantities can be produced for initial trials to determine the best analysis to give the required metallurgical properties in the finished casting.
The use of Tenbloc® inoculant inserts in the mould is the latest possible stage at which inoculant can be added. This means the amount of inoculant to be used can be reduced to a minimum, as there is no inoculant fade and as such, it is a cost effective and efficient use of inoculant. Typical addition rates are 0.1 % but these can be adjusted to suit specific customer requirements. Contact us for more information.
- Inoculating at the latest possible stage in the casting process eliminates inoculant fade.
- Accurate weight control gives a consistent level of inoculation into every mould.
- Close dimensional tolerances ensure a good fit into the mould print.
- Tenbloc® inoculant inserts are 100 % inoculant and do not contain a binder or any other additive.
- Tenbloc® inoculant inserts are available in several different analytical grades, specifically formulated for both ductile and grey iron.
Why choose Elkem Tenbloc® inoculant inserts?
Close control of all stages of production gives Tenbloc® inoculant inserts several advantages:
- It is free from impurities, eliminating the introduction of undesirable elements in the iron.
- There are no slag inclusions, gas holes or porosity.
- The unique metallurgical bond formed during production is important for immediate and controlled dissolution.