Anti-mold silicone sealants for kitchens and bathrooms
Versatile, hygienic and safe products designed to resist high temperatures and humidity
Trustworthy anti-mold silicone sealants for kitchens and bathrooms
Kitchens and bathrooms are the most frequently used spaces in our homes and in our daily lives. They are also the areas that are most subjected to ambient high temperatures and humidity levels, as well as direct contact with flowing water. This means, of course, that the sealants used in these rooms must meet several essential criteria: proper adhesion and sealing performance on all surfaces to prevent leaks, safe and efficient biocidal and fungicidal action, and long-term resistance to drying and cracking, as well as yellowing.
Architects, builders and DIY homeowners have a vast choice of sanitary sealants in the market, especially since kitchens and bathrooms increasingly use a wide variety of materials. Silicones are a material of choice because they offer specific formulations that can be used to bond different materials together: ceramic fixtures and tiles, metals, wood, plaster, marble, stone, composites and even very smooth surfaces such as glass. Silicone sealing applications in these complex settings must be particularly accurate and versatile because they are seen by people close up every day in activities linked to their personal hygiene and food preparation and consumption.
This is why silicone sealants and additives for use in kitchens and bathrooms must not pose any threat to human health, such as emissions of toxic fumes when being installed and for the entire life cycle of the product. Elkem Silicones products, designed specifically for use in sanitary and food contact spaces in homes, offices and industrial plants are all tested and certified to be safe and comply with the strictest national and international standards.
What are the main advantages of Elkem silicone-based materials for silicone sealants in kitchens and bathrooms?
Elkem was the first silicone manufacturer to introduce a sealant cartridge in 1957 and since then, the company’s R&D, working closely with architects and builders, has continued to develop new silicone-based applications for construction outdoors and indoors, with particular expertise in products subjected to humidity and variable temperatures.
The benefits of Elkem Silicones solutions for kitchens and bathrooms:
- A wide range of solutions for sealing and bonding different materials in kitchens (sinks, worktops, tiling, etc.) and bathrooms (bathtubs, showers, washbasins, toilets, etc.)
- Efficient antifungal and anti-bacterial additives for optimal cleanliness and comfort
- Non-yellowing formulations that maintain their elasticity over time
- Durable connection joints for plumbing fixtures and ceramic tiles
- Products do not contain any toxic ingredients such as APEO (Alkylphenol ethoxylates) and present low VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) levels, complying with and surpassing the strictest national and international regulatory standards for indoor construction materials.
- Efficient extrudability for production efficiency
- Available in white and translucid versions for aesthetic freedom
- Excellent flexibility to seal decorations to all types of substrates in humid environments
- Customized products to ensure long product lifecycle and reduce maintenance costs.
Our product offering
The BLUESIL™ SLT line of products features both acetoxy and alkoxy silicone elastomers in one or two-component systems, featuring high-performance mechanical properties that are designed for specific applications in kitchen and bathroom sealing. These products cure at ambient or room temperature and in the presence of air humidity to form a strong, flexible long-lasting seal.
This original family of silicone sealants remains the most widely used in multiple construction applications and, in particular our high-performance products are well-suited for both outdoor and indoor applications since they resist high humidity and temperature variations. This technology, because it creates acetoxy acid in the curing process, can only be used in applications where there is no risk of corrosion in the surrounding environment.
This technology is based on an alcohol curing mechanism and is therefore completely neutral and odorless. It is used in the same range of construction applications as acetoxy technology, but also in areas where corrosion is to be avoided, such as near electrical installations, in contact with sensitive metals (such as copper and its alloys) or in structures that may be exposed to hazardous chemical or environmental pressures.
Here is one outstanding example of a new innovative solution in our vast product offering:
- BLUESIL™ SLT NOVART S is a one component, neutral alkoxy, ready-to-use and fast curing silicone elastomer suitable for sealing and bonding seals in sanitary installations. It crosslinks at room temperature to give a flexible seal of low modulus. It combines the advantages of primerless adhesion and neutrality and can be used on most materials for sanitary sealing, including, ceramic tiles, glazed surfaces, aluminum, steel, stainless steel, rigid PVC, marble, granite and other porous substrates. It can withstand movement of 25% in constant service throughout a wide temperature and humidity range. Novart S also aesthetically enhances sanitary ware, fixtures and fittings with its smooth, glossy appearance and is available in white or as a clear translucent formulation that adapts to all colors of tiling and fixtures. Its protection features include an efficient low-dosage fungicide, and its composition is non-toxic, non-leaching and non-yellowing when exposed to UV rays.
Why choose Elkem Silicones as your partner for silicone kitchen and bathroom applications?
Elkem Silicones experts work from the very early stages of product development with a holistic approach to their products, considering their technical and aesthetic properties, as well as making sure they are durable and safe.
Silicones solutions for anti-mold kitchen and bathroom sealing and bonding cover such a wide variety of applications that it is essential for builders, architects and DIY homeowners to confer with our experts or salespeople that sell our products in retail outlets to make sure they get the right products and the right support.
Elkem Silicones can help meet your material specifications for sanitary applications through our help lines and custom silicone rubber compounding solutions provided by our Mix & Fix Centers to develop products that meet evolving market demand and regulatory changes.