Elkem Silicones Saint Fons
The plant site is located in Saint-Fons in the Chemical Valley in the South of Lyon.
Industrial activities started in Saint-Fons back in 1948 and the current production site was first built in 1954 and grew with new buildings and workshops over the past decades.
Elkem in Saint-Fons is focused on manufacturing highly specialized silicone from different product families, like Oils, Gums, Resins, Rubbers, Sealants, RTV-1, RTV-2
Because we care about our customers' trust and satisfaction we have dedicated people to support them and to work closely with our sales and marketing teams.
Elkem Saint-Fons products
The most common silicone oils are linear polysiloxane compounds, that orient in spiral chains, which easily glide and slip over one another.
Depending on processing requirements or usage, silicone fluids may be used as 100 % materials, in a diluted form – mostly in halogenated hydrocarbons, aromatic compounds or high-boiling white spirit.
A silicone compound is made up of a hydrophobic particle (generally silica) dispersed in silicone oil, which produces a foam control or antifoam agent used in a great variety of applications.
Silicone emulsions are silicone oils dispersed in an aqueous system. Emulsions are ideal for surface treatments, being easy to apply, and are simple to prepare.
Silicone resins are relatively low molecular weight polymers with a three-dimensional branched-chain structure.
Silicone elastomers are compounded using reactive, straight chained molecules together with a cross-linking agent and reinforcement to give good mechanical properties (elasticity, absorption, tear strength).
RTV-1 is a one-component, Room Temperature Vulcanization silicone rubber that cures at room temperature.
RTV-2 silicones are two-component, Room Temperature Vulcanization silicone rubbers, gels or foams.
Heat Cured Rubber is a silicone elastomer formed of straight chains with very high molecular weight.
Elkem Saint-Fons certificates
As a signatory to the Responsible Care Global Charter our company will actively strengthen the Responsible Care initiative committed to:
- Safeguarding People and the Environment
- Strengthening Chemicals Management Systems
- Engaging Stakeholders
- Contributing to Sustainability
- Continuous improvement
Should you need our environnemental policy, please contact us.
- Approximately 570 employees are working in Saint-Fons plant, including Production, EHS, EBS, Production, Quality, Supply Chain, Maintenance, Technical Assistance, R&T Scale-up, Engineering, HR, Communication, IT, Product Stewardship, Purchasing and Finance
- SEVESO High Level classification
- Our plants’ activities are actively involved in the economic and social activities of the region. Through our partnerships, trainings, and sustainable development policy, we maintain close relations, and an ongoing dialogue with the local stakeholders. As part of our policy of transparency we are also committed to inform stakeholders as quickly as possible in the event of significant safety or environmental incident in accordance with the industry’s “real-time” communication policy.
Elkem Saint-Fons related markets
Sustainability at Elkem
To learn more about our sustainability initiatives, check our webpage.